Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Day 5: The Forgotten (2004)

PG-13, 1 hr. 31 min. Directed by: Joseph Ruben. Release Date: September 24, 2004. DVD Release Date: January 18, 2005.

I should preface this with a warning: don't try to multitask while you watch this. Julianne Moore goes from normal to complete and raging psychopath in less time that it takes a Ferrari to go from 0 to 60. The meltdown was so quick and so violent that I had to do a backwards search on the DVD in order to tap in to what one my favorite authors called the "WTF was THAT? party line." Didn't Jodie Foster have a similar movie? She's an avionics engineer who loses her kid on a flight and no one remembers the kid ever being there except Jodie Foster, until you suddenly find out the kid died in an accident or something years before. Am I wrong? Is there a series or something that this film's a part of? I guess it's apparent that if nothing else, Ms. Moore plays one hell of a crazy woman. All she needs is some aluminum foil and a cat or three.


But, other than the talents of the film's star, this movie just kind of plummets into the twin spirals of fail and shame. There's not only nothing original about this, but what material is borrowed is tired and cliché. I'm a little sorry that I let my respect for Julianne Moore translate into me putting this on my Netflix queue. There are problems in nearly every aspect of the film, which reads a bit like Matt Damon's upcoming The Adjustment Bureau. Blah blah blah, government conspiracy with aliens blah blah kidnapping children. Seriously, if aliens wanted to study something about humanity, why would they chose to study the bond between parents and their children (although the actual experiment is one of the several, major plot holes in the story when you combine that with Moore's co-star).


The immortal bard, Phillip J. Fry, once referred to a his self-created world filled with "plot holes and spelling errors." Based on what I saw here, that world is expanding at nearly ridiculous speed. The Forgotten is loosely based on every parent's worst nightmare, but that's the last point in which the movie even attempts to broach something sensible. This won't stop me from watching Julianne Moore movies, but I'll think twice about it next time.