Friday, May 20, 2011

Day 140: Knocked Up (2007)

R, 2 hr. 12 min.  Directed by: Judd Apatow.  Release Date: June 1, 2007.  DVD Release Date: September 25, 2007. 

This is really the only Seth Rogen film I’ve really enjoyed to date, at least, it’s the only Seth Rogen comedy that I’ve enjoyed to date.  I suspect it’s because of the supporting cast, but I also have this inkling that it’s funny because this is really what his life is like, even after his stardom.  In 2007, this was probably the funniest movie I’ve ever seen, and I still enjoy it, but some of the allure has gone out of the movie.  It’s just not as funny as it used to be, and I don’t know if it’s because comedies from later years have blown this out of the water, or if it’s because successive introductions to Mr. Rogen have just left me cold to the whole experience.

Now, the element of this movie that I enjoy the most is that this is a ridiculous comedy, where people are acting crazy and it seems unreasonable at first, but then you come to the realization that some of this actually happens to people.  The supporting cast is really where the money is in this movie:  Paul Rudd, Jay Baruchel, Jonah Hill, even a cameo by James Franco that’s totally worth watching… the list just keeps rolling on.  Each is funnier than the next, and they give the supporting cast enough time to bring some slapstick and/or offbeat humor to the show, even though this is a “relationship” movie and you wouldn’t expect it.  Certainly, the contribute to some of the funniest scenes in the film, like the pregnancy test scene, which is always fun to watch.  Granted, they do seem to be picked largely from a cast of Adam Sandler production rejects, but they’re good here.

The two major themes are pretty played out:  the surprise post-one nighter pregnancy and the odd couple situation.  We’ve seen them before, and frequently together.  It’s a very rare thing where we don’t see a romantic comedy where the couple gets together despite all odds, in fact, I’ve seen Katherine Heigl play in that exact kind of relationship on at least two other occasions that I can think of without working too hard at it.  This is probably the oddest of the odd couples that I’ve seen to date, so much so that I’m wondering how this would have worked out in a realistic environment:  I suspect a lack of follow-up contact and a quick trip past the picketers at a Planned Parenthood clinic.

Basically we have a common arrangement for both the stars:  Seth Rogen plays a total loser who’s hopped up on weed and Katherine Heigl plays a woman who is wound WAY too tight, and they end up in some unlikely relationship.  If you haven’t seen it, Knocked Up is worth watching once.  Repeat viewings can cause problems with your enjoyment.  I suspect there’s a ceiling, like maybe 5 or 7, and from there it all goes downhill.