Thursday, July 7, 2011

Day 188: Tomb Raider (2001)

PG-13, 1 hr. 40 min.  Directed by: Simon West.  Release Date: June 15, 2001. DVD Release Date: November 13, 2001 

When this came out, I was in love.  I'd never heard of the Tomb Raider video game, I didn't know anything about Lara Croft, but I knew that she combined everything I loved about Indiana Jones, combined it with my favorite aspects of James Bond, and then brought in the hotness that is Angelina Jolie.  What's NOT to love?

I've said many times in the course of my blogging that when I go to the theaters, my primary need to be met is entertainment.  If I want to think deep thoughts or be educated, I'm probably going to, you know, read a book.  Tomb Raider kept me enthused from start to finish, and not just because of Angelina Jolie in a skimpy costume.  I thought the stunts were great, and I'm always impressed at a successful attempt at transitioning a video game into a feature length film.  The stunts are remarkably well done, even if they're not always very believable.  

Now, the movie isn't without it's faults.  I found the whole inclusion of the Illuminati to be tiresome and witless... but then, I feel that way about the whole secret society craze that seems to have swept the country in the wake of Dan Brown's fictional efforts to drag them from the bowels of irrelevancy.  The acting is poorly done on average, and there are a few of the cast members that are outright stinkers.  There's a reason why the critics hated this movie, but it's not a reason I'm inclined to share.  Sometimes technical and craft failures are a distraction for me, but this had enough action and adventure that it didn't bother me too much.

If all you're looking for is some fun and action, then this is a great choice.  If you're looking for meaning and technical merit... you probably want to find somewhere else to spend your time.