Saturday, July 9, 2011

Day 190: Three Men and a Baby (1987)

PG, 1 hr. 42 min.  Directed by: Leonard Nimoy.  Release Date: November 25, 1987.  DVD Release Date: April 2, 2002. 

When I give any significant thought to the 1980s, the movies I grew up on, Three Men and a Baby comes somewhere near the forefront of the process.  I would have been 10 when I saw this for the first time; as is common for me in those days, I remember seeing the movie, but I don't remember who took me.  Once upon a time, this was a part of my VHS movie collection, and it's another movie that I haven't gotten around to replacing on DVD, although given my reaction to the movie today, I probably should make the time for that.  One of these days, I'll be making a list of the DVDs I need to add to my collection.

I've been told a great many times that should I ever choose to become a parent, that the reaction to the baby is immediate and very, very emotional.  At the moment, I believe firmly in a zero reproduction policy, although there are those out there who suggest that my anti-child stance is merely because I haven't met the right woman (to which I usually make a rude and sarcastic reply).  I like kids. Especially OTHER PEOPLES' kids, but babies scare me like being trapped in a room with Freddy, Jason, and Ghostface where the walls are closing in.  I could see myself being the kind of dad we see here:  error upon error upon potentially baby-endangering error.  I can't see myself giving up my own life up like these guys eventually did, although the slow adaptation of Tom Selleck, Steve Guttenberg, and eventually Ted Danson makes me suspect that most parents actually do have that immediate and overwhelming rush in reaction to the arrival of their new baby.

It's hard not to like this movie.  Three Men and a Baby is cute, funny, and it feels (for the most part) like it's based on things that actually could happen to people.  I'm a little on the fence about the whole accidental drug mule thing, but I'm very much on board with the rest.  Even better than all of this is how deeply entrenched the movie is in 80s sensibilities, and to date, the 80s have been my favorite decade.  For me, watching this movie instantly reverts me to childhood, and in all the right ways.  

I'm still trying to find the urban legendy appearance of the hanging ghost or whatever it is that's supposed to be happening in (I think) one of the windows of the apartment shared by the three men.  Next time I watch the movie, I'll have to actually put on glasses or contacts to make sure I don't miss the details.  My List of the Month for October will talk about the best movie urban legends, and don't doubt for a second that this movie will make a reappearance then.

If you haven't checked this out yet, you should.  Bottom line.