Thursday, July 28, 2011

Day 209: Star Trek III- The Search For Spock (1984)


PG, 1 hr. 45 min.  Directed by: Leonard Nimoy.  Release Date: June 1, 1984.  DVD Release Date: April 18, 2000.

“Even numbered Trek movies don’t suck.”  I think that’s how Spice advertises when they run these movies, especially if they’re running them in sequence, which happens not infrequently.  Spock holds that adage true, serving as a fairly weak follow up to The Wrath of Khan and a stage-setter for The Voyage Home, both of which blow the doors off this installment in the franchise.

I’m not sure why I have the problems I have with this movie.  It’s probably story-based, because the special effects that I enjoyed in Khan make a reappearance (more or less) in Spock.  The cast members seem to deliver their average performances… a quantification that is admittedly is hit or miss depending on how much time Shattner feels the need to waste with inappropriate pauses between words not separated by punctuation.  It also probably has a little bit to with the actress playing T’Saavik.  For whatever reason, Kirstie Alley was replaced in the role, and the new star is a little lacking.  

The resurrection of Spock (I don’t feel like I’m giving a spoiler, since the man appeared in three later films of this franchise, at least three episodes of The Next Generation, and the 2009 reboot) is probably the crux of my issue.  I'm pretty sure that resurrections like this belong only in three places: soap operas, the X-Men comic series, and World of Warcraft, and its appearance here gives the movie a vaguely space opera feel.  To make matters worse, other than to bridge the gap between Khan and Voyage Home, Search doesn’t seem to serve a whole lot of purpose.  They could have extended the second film in the series by half an hour and gotten the same closure this movie offered.  I liked the whole conflict with the rogue Klingon commander, and I probably would have been happier if that guy had a bigger, more powerful vessel and the Enterprise was again the only ship in the quadrant.  I actually was happy that Christopher Lloyd played the bad guy, which is a nice deviation from what I'm used to seeing him do.

Search has its moments, but I generally skip it in favor of its even-numbered movies.