Monday, January 2, 2012

Horrible Bosses (2011)


R, 1 hr. 38 min. Directed By:  Seth Gordon.  Release Date:  Jul 8, 2011 Wide.  DVD Release Date:  Oct 11, 2011.

I knew it.  When I wrote about The Change-Up in July, I said that I’d chosen to see the wrong Jason Bateman movie that summer.  I friggin’ knew it.  If you have any further questions about Jason Bateman comedies, THIS is the one to see.  There’s no question about it.  Every once in a while, I get a real gift in my mailbox as part of my weekly Netflix shipment, and this was one of the best gifts I’d gotten in a long time.  Add to it that this was part of the same shipment that brought me Super 8, and I had a pretty good couple of days.

This was a ridiculously funny movie, particularly once you consider how ludicrous it was.  They took Strangers on a Train, which I personally think is a fantastic Hitchcock movie, and gave it a twist to the silly, and somehow it worked.  In many ways, I found this to be more effective in its efforts than its inspiration.  

There isn’t much I didn’t find completely effective.  The cast is spot on, and some of them (notably Jennifer Aniston and Kevin Spacey) play parts that are well outside the norm.  I can't remember the last time I saw a comedy with this caliber cast done this well.  I really dug Aniston as kind of a comedic antagonist, and I certainly dug Spacey as a crazed antagonist.  The rest of the cast had some decent timing and the chemistry was really good.  The cast was probably what took this from being a stupidly done mashing of the Master’s work and made it worth watching. 

So… basically, this is a great way to kill 90 minutes.  The movie’s funny, without being over the top.  The cast is good and they put forward enjoyable, if not amazing performances.  I dig some of the plot devices, like the OnStar representative, since he not only plays a major role in driving the movie, he’s crazy funny (if stereotypical).  The time flew, and I actually missed an appointment because I lost track of time.   I’d actually like to have one of these horrible bosses… particularly Jennifer Aniston, but hey, that’s just me.