Monday, March 19, 2012

Crocodile Dundee (1986)

PG-13, 1 hr. 38 min.  Directed by: Peter Faiman.  Release Date: September 26, 1986.  DVD Release Date: September 18, 2001. 

Personally, I remember Crocodile Dundee for two things:  the first is the line, "That's not a knife, THIS is a knife."  I recently saw the line spoofed on either Family Guy or American Dad, I can't remember which.  I hadn't seen this movie in close to twenty years, which is a depressing thought, but as soon as the scene popped up I knew exactly where it had come from.  The other thing I remember is the scene with the crocodile and the canteen.  I've probably seen this movie a billion times.  I steel myself for it every time I've watched the movie after the first time, and STILL I frigging jump when it goes down.  

This is one of those movies where my basic opinions haven't changed since I was a boy.  I can't believe that an Australian, no matter how far removed from the city he may have been, couldn't survive in the United States because of culture differences.  Having lived overseas on several occasions myself, I know that cultural differences can be a problem; but I also know that aside from the occasional totally spastic moment, you tend to work your way through them rather than shut down entirely.  I also happen to think that, once you get over that disbelief issue, that this is one funny movie.  I loved the movie then and I still love it today, although I haven't owned a copy of this since I transitioned my movie collection from VHS to DVD.  I don't know why; it just wasn't a priority.

I've never been so sure that Mick Dundee's life was anything like an authentic picture of what "country living" is like for Australians, because in my head, I kind of associate living in the Outback with living in a rural community, not unlike the community in rural Ohio I lived in for several years.  It feels a bit like someone superimposed the American redneck stereotype over a few Australian accents.  I've always wanted to ask one of my Aussie friends, but I'm not sure that any of them would actually know the answer, because they're all city folk. 

If you haven't seen this, you owe it to yourself to check it out.  It's almost a quintessentially 80s comedy that didn't involve John Hughes.  There are few better examples of the sub-genre than this one.