Saturday, April 28, 2012

Inevitable Summer Movie Post - September


I know that technically, September isn’t part of the summer, but with the movies there always seems to be a “Indian” summer, where films that weren’t high budget enough to compete with the actual blockbusters, but are still going to be fun make brief appearances in the theaters before the six-week lull until Thanksgiving.  I thought a few of these would be worth mentioning.

SEPTEMBER
Resident Evil: Retribution – Milla Jovovich
I actually tend to hate these movies, but the action sequences are pretty slick.  I’m hoping that, one day, the powers behind this series will throw in the towel in the same way that (I think) the creators of Saw have.  The first movie in both series I could get behind, now I’m just tired and ready for every zombie to wake up and find themselves in one of Jigsaw’s puzzles.  This is a maybe, but I’ll probably end up going out of boredom if nothing else.

Dredd –Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby
I’m going to come right out and say that I absolutely hated Judge Dredd back in the day.  I didn’t know anything about the comic series, and I don’t know that I’ve ever seen Stallone where I’m not crazy critical about his performance.  For me, this one is purely about the action sequences, so they’d better be worth the price of admission.

Ten Year –Channing Tatum, Rosario Dawson, Justin Long, Kata Mara
I am hoping Tatum takes a break for a year or so after this summer.  I know it won’t happen, but if things go well this summer, it’ll be the very first time I’ve ever really thought of him as someone that isn’t a complete lump on the camera, and releasing four or five movies in the space of as many months is going to be pushing what could some new-found affection.  I’m going to give this the benefit of the doubt, because I like the whole 10 year reunion theme.   It worked for American Reunion, didn’t it?

House at the End of the Street –Jennifer Lawrence, Elisabeth Shue, Max Thieriot
This has been done before, lots of times, but I’m beginning to be fond of Jennifer Lawrence, and I’ve liked Elisabeth Shue since I first saw Adventures in Babysitting.  I don’t have high hopes for this, but I’m thinking it will be entertaining.

Looper –Bruce Willis, Joseph Gordon-Leavitt, Emily Blunt
It’s not likely I’m going to miss anything with Joe-Go in it, even though it feels a bit like he’s in ever third movie this summer, I don’t quite have that “so over him” feeling yet.  Looper’s trailers make me feel like anticipation is the way to handle it, although I’m not sure why people would think it was a good idea to send the future version of someone back in time for assassination by their younger self.  Is that like how Fry did the “nasty in the pasty” in Futurama and became his own grandfather?
Savages – Taylor Kitsch, Salma Hayek, Benicio Del Toro, Blake Lively
I wrote a paper in college about how the legalization of marijuana might impact crime in the United States; it went a little something like this.  For a few years, there’d be open war until the DEA/ATF/whatever other law enforcement body smacked the drug smugglers around, and then the violence and crime currently involved in the marijuana trade would disappear.  It might be a little na├»ve, but I still think it’s a possibility.  I’m not so sure about the working threesome depicted in this movie.
Won’t Back Down – Viola Davis, Maggie Gyllenhaal
I do loves me some Viola Davis, at least as much as I despise Maggie Gyllenhaal.  I’m hoping the former counterbalances the latter, and the story seems interesting enough for me to put some effort into seeing it.